Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Transportation

Let's talk about the traffic here...words cannot describe what driving down the street is like here! I wish I could teleport you all, so you could take just one moto bike ride down the streets of Phnom Penh.

**Disclaimer** Mom, you might not want to read any farther.

There were a few times today that I was thinking my mom wouldn't want to see me right now.  I have my own personal moto driver that takes me to work in the morning, home for lunch, and then back to work in the afternoon. There are no traffic lights here, no traffic laws, the motos drive anywhere they want, the streets are filled with moto bikes, tuk tuks, bicycles, cars, and people. I don't think I have ever sweat, gripped, and had as fast as a heartbeat that I had at 7:30am this morning. Not to mention the fumes from the exhaust are awesome.  I am going to try to take a video so you all can virtually experience it!

On a side note, my moto driver is super sweet (well, he doesn't speak English, but he seems nice :-) He is in business school and is driving to make some extra money. He apparently learned English in school, but has never spoken it at all. He said "Thank You" today in English and I was so excited I think I gave him a heart attack.

I was planning on writing more, but I am EXHAUSTED. It was my first day at my placement...more on that later. A huge group of people went out tonight and I actually turned it down. I decided that reading, sleeping, and planning my lessons for my classes (Mrs. Carhart you would be so proud!) sounded better.

Night night! (Or good morning to most of you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment