Friday, July 22, 2011

First experience riding in the rain

Hey! Felt like typing in a different font today. Just have a few minutes to blog, but I wanted to share some information that I learned today...

I talked with one of the teachers at the school and told him that I was going to Angkor Wat this weekened. He told me that he can't afford to go. His monthly income as a teacher $125/month. I, of course, wanted to know more so I asked lots of questions. They do not have any type of benefits and it doesn't matter how long they have been teaching they get paid the same amount. He shared with me that he doesn't think he will ever have a wife or kids because he can't support them. He said "you're lucky that you were born in the United States."

I have to admit that the conversation was really hard for me. Even now I'm becoming emotional writing about it. It's hard for me to put into words...I think of it as backwards culture shock. I usually can adjust to my surroundings and (this may be a surprise to some of you) can survive with not much. I am a traveller, so I have learned to expect the unexpected BUT I tend to be overcome by feeling badly for what I have. I had the same type of feelings when I went to Africa, but it didn't hit me until I was home.

This teacher's yearly salary is half of my plane ticket cost.
My trip to Siem Riep for the weekend will only cost me, at the MOST $100, which I thought was cheap. How many volunteers do they see work at the school and travel there on the weekend?
In the United States someone will buy a pair of jeans for $125 and they are probably made here by someone making $50/month.

It's a lot to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment