Saturday, July 9, 2011

First Full Day

It's Sunday morning here. I had my first full day yesterday. There is so much more to report today!

I have met a lot more of the volunteers. There are 4 apartments that are very close together. Many of the volunteers go into the other apartments and hang out together. It seems like most of the volunteers are younger (most on their gap year from high school or in college). There are from everywhere! It's cool because English is our common language, well, expect for the people from France. We definitely don't understand each other. I am staying with Samantha (we share a room), Phil (from Kentucky), Kyra (from Ireland), and we are suppose to get two more this week. Everyone has been very nice and helpful!

Yesterday, I had my first Tuk Tuk ride. It is basically a moto bike with seats attached to the back. Most westerns take them because they cost more money. The major way of transportation is moto bike, which COVER the streets. It''s crazy. There are no laws when it comes to driving, so the bikes go all over the streets, criss-crossing everywhere.

I went to S. 21 Genocide Museum and the Killing Fields yesterday. During the Khmer Rouge 1975-1978 over 3 million Cambodians were killed. A little deep for our first outing, but some other volunteers were going and it was definitely something I wanted to see. It was devastating to see what this city went through so recently. The ruler, Pol Pot, forced everyone out of the city into the country to work (including the children). 20,000 people who lived in Phnom Penh were sent to S. 21 (which they called a "government office"), which was a place of torture and interrogation. All the people who were kept there were then transported to the killing fields.

On a lighter note, I went to the Bayou market. It is a regular grocery store about a 5-10 min walk from where I am staying. It sells just about everything I need (Coca Cola lights and all). I have to say...Andrew, you were right. I didn't need to pack my huge shampoo and conditioner bottles, they even sell that! :-) Most of the "westerner" products are more expensive though, not surprisingly.

Today a group of 7 of us are going to the slums. There is an agency funded by the UK that provides food, drinkable water, mosquito nets, ect. to these people who desperately need it. They bring volunteers every Sunday to deliver the goods. Samantha and I both decided that this is something we wanted to do. I will have more information about that next time!

*Random side fact, but I found out that Cambodians favor lighter skin. Many women here use medical face masks to cover there face, so it isn't exposed to the sun. There is skin lightening creams ect. sold in the stores. Darker skin gives the impression that you are of a working class, spending your days out in the sun.

Sorry if I ramble on, make no sense, or have a million spelling grammatical errors..bare with me! Next time I will try to post some pictures of what I explained above, I forgot to bring my USB cable with me today.

Another hot day in Cambodia,
Corrie

No comments:

Post a Comment