Saturday, July 16, 2011

Birthday party at school

On Friday I was able to see a birthday party take place at my school, it was a sight to see! The student brought in fruit, soda, and cake. I thought it was a lot, but his teacher was apologizing to me saying it wasn't a lot because his family is poor. The students hung balloons in the room filled with baby powder to decorate. All of the teachers from the other classes (5 other classes) came to watch the celebration. The question is...what were their students doing?? I think for that hour the other kids were just hanging out unsupervised in their classrooms? It was odd!

We say Happy Birthday to the boy and then a few teachers and students proceeded to spray "snow"on him and all over the cake (the fake snow in a bottle that I think you are suppose to spray on windows!). One of the pictures posted above shows this happening. Oh, I forgot to mention they closed the windows and turned off the fan for this part, I thought we all were going to suffocate. THEN the students light sparklers in the classroom and the birhtday boy uses the one to pop the balloons hanging, letting the baby powder fall out everywhere! The teachers sit and watch while the boy serves everyone and then cleans the enitre mess up. The teachers are all served first and there isn't even enough cake for the students after all the teachers are served. He picked about 2 friends to get a slice of the cake. After he sweeps and mops the floor he dances with some friends. It was such an experience!!

There are also some pictures above of the Royal Palace and National Museum. I went yesterday with some other volunteers. I am still getting use to all the different customs here, as we had to have our shoulders and knees covered to enter the Royal Palace gates.

No comments:

Post a Comment